Hello summer, I have missed you. Personally, this is one of the my favorite recipes. It is easy, unconventional and very flavorful. Highly recommended. Not only because of its beautiful presentation, also because Coconut and Lemon are two flavors that interact so well with each other.
– COCONUT & LEMON CAKE –
for x; vegan & low in fructose
– 200 g whole spelt flour
– 50 g corn / tapioca / potato starch
– 80 g powdered sugar (or dextrose!)
– 1 tbsp. of baking powder
– 1 tsp. of salt
– 300 ml of grated coconut
– 300 ml of coconut milk / soy milk
– zest and juice of 2 untreated lemons
– 2 handfuls of coconut flakes
– 30 ml Bourbon Whiskey
1. Preheat oven on 200°C.
2. Bring flour, baking powder, grated coconut, half of the sugar, and salt together. Add 3 to 4 tablespoons of water to the starch.
3. Grate the peel of both lemons, and add to flour. Cut one of the lemon in 1 cm thin slices and freeze. Make sure you remove all of the white skin.
4. Squeeze the juice of the other lemon into the liquid starch. Add soy milk and start slowly bringing together the liquids and the fixed ingredients. The dough should be really thick.
5. Bring into loaf pan that has been coated with baking paper first. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes until the cake starts to develop a semi solid layer.
6. In the meanwhile heat 20 g sugar with whiskey and 2 tablespoons of water. Add frozen lemon slices and cook for about 5 to 10 minutes until they start to candy.
7. Place them carefully on top of the semi baked cake and poor the rest of the liquid over as well and let the cake bake for another 20 to 30 minutes.
8. Now heat 20 g sugar with some water and candy the coconut flakes until all the liquid has disappeared. When the cake is ready remove from oven and add coconut flakes on top. Let cool for 10 minutes and serve immediately. Enjoy.
Coconut is a rich source of minerals like iron and potassium. It contains vitamins like folate and vitamin B3, C, E. It boosts immune system. Phosphorus keeps teeth and bones strong.
Lemon is loaded with vitamin C, B, phosphorous, proteins and it contains flavonoids, which are composites that contain antioxidant and cancer fighting properties. It helps to prevent fever, high blood pressure. Further it improves skin, hair and teeth. Lemon is well known for its medicinal power and is used in many different ways. It is an aromatic and antiseptic agent and is very useful when used as a treatment for rheumatism and arthritis. Lemon helps to flush out bacteria and toxins from the body.