Hey there, I got something special for you today. My favorite dish to be precise. It is Italian, which usually means that there is a lot of cheese in it, so I didn’t have it for a while (About 3 or 4 years). Thank god I found several recipes online to make vegan cheese. I decided to make a creamy version that needs no cooling or what so ever in between. I will definitely work on other „cheese“ recipes in the future. I discovered MELANZANE ALLA PARMIGIANA in 2008 when I did an exchange semester in Naples, back in high school.
– MELANZANE ALLA PARMIGIANA –
Back then, I was vegan, but I totally gave that up for cheese, Italian cheese. I didn’t feel so good about it, but I just couldn’t resist. Shame on me. But now, I am vegan again and this time for good. I am very happy & proud about it! And as you can see, as a vegan you can still have all these Italian dishes that make your life so much better. I love that there is no pasta in MELANZANE ALLA PARMIGIANA which makes it gluten free. Yay. Also I love eggplants, ha! It might take some time to prepare it but you can store it in the fridge and have home cooked Italian food for the rest of the week. I promise, you will love it. Give it a try.
for 4-6; vegan & gluten free
– 7 eggplants
– olive oil
– 5 handfuls of cherry tomatoes
– 11 garlic cloves
– 2 cans of tomato sauce
– olive oil
– basil & chives
– 3 cups of cashews, soaked in water
– 3 garlic cloves
– juice of half a lemon
– hot water
– 4 tbsp. of potato starch
1. Cut eggplant in slices, sprinkle with salt and put between paper towels for at least 2 hours.
2. Use 2 to 3 teaspoons of olive oil for a batch of fried eggplants, and mash them a little with your fork to get better results.
3. Don’t fry on maximum heat. Continue until all 7 eggplants are fried.
1. In the meanwhile cut cherry tomatoes, garlic, basil, leek and chives.
2. Start frying leek and garlic with one tablespoon of olive oil in a big pot.
3. Add tomato sauce and salt and let cook on medium heat for about 1/2 hour.
1. Drain soaked cashews and place in a food processor with some extra water if needed. Put on medium power and add garlic, lemon juice and salt according to taste. (For this one you can use a lot since parmesan is so well known for its salty taste.)
2. Mix potato starch wich 4 tablespoons of water in a glass.
3. Now heat the cashew cream and add the liquid starch and some more water if you want it to be really creamy.
4. Now stir for 5 minutes and you will see how thick and delicious it will become. A lot like mozzarella.
Make multiple layers of your three ingredients in a casserole dish and put in oven for 30 minutes on medium heat. Serve with bread. Enjoy.