Hey guys, say hi to my favorite Austrian dish. The idea just came to me one sleepless night and I immediately had to give it a try. I am so happy with the result, such a yummy baked spread inspired by my childhood. I am Styrian, and I am proud of it. So of course I grew up with pumpkin seeds and pumpkin seed oil and I love it! Luckily it is very healthy too, you can read more about its health benefits below. If you want it to be really regional you can leave out the cashews and almonds and balance out the recipe with more pumpkin and sunflower seeds. I personally prefer adding them because they give the baked spread a very soft and incredibly creamy touch.
♥︎ ♕ [1. PLACE: 2015 AMA FOOD BLOG AWARD] ♕ ♥︎
– MY GREEN HEART –
for 4; vegan
MY GREEN HEART
– 100g pumpkin seeds
– 140g sunflower seeds
– 200g white almonds
– 140g cashews
– 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast
– 5 tbsp. pumpkin seed oil
– 3 garlic gloves
– 1 bunch of chives
– 1 tbsp. salt
SERVE WITH: rye bread, chanterelle, arugula, rosemary, thyme…
1. Bring all ingredients of MY GREEN HEART but chives in blender, add as little water as possible. I used about 500 ml. Blend for several minutes until you end up with a very smooth mass.
2. Cut chives and mix into mass.
3. Put mass into a finely mashed cotton towel and let liquid drain over night in fridge. I pressed out some of the liquid and add some weight to accelerate the draining process.
4. Find yourself a cute baking dish, add parchment paper and spread mass evenly.
5. Bake for about one hour at 120°C.
Clean chanterelle in a water flour bath and bring into hot pan and fry for 10 minutes with a pinch of salt. Serve with fresh arugula, chanterelle and herbs such as rosemary and thyme, they will enhance the flavor.
Pumpkin seed oil is a very dark green oil pressed from raw or roasted pumpkin seeds, it has a rich and nutty flavor. It has been traditionally used as a treatment for intestinal parasites, since it has a unusual ability to paralyze parasites. Also it has high levels of phytosterols which help to reduce LDL cholesterol. Some research has shown the positive effects of pumpkin seed oil on arthritic inflammation. Since it has high levels of Vitamin E which has significant benefits for skin health and skin care.
Chanterelle mushrooms, is a wild mushroom which grows all over the world. They are a great source of protein, copper, potassium, zinc and B vitamins, also vitamin B12! Potassium regulates blood pressure and the contractions of the heart muscle. The other nutrients are good for the mood and the brain.